Monday, June 21, 2010

Review: Babushka's Beauty Secrets ARC

  If you are a woman, you need to buy this book.  If you have a daughter, you need to buy her this book.  Get it for your mother and grandmother too!  I LOVE Babushka's Beauty Secrets by Raisa Ruder!

Babushka is the Russian word for "grandmother".  Raisa shares the beauty secrets that her grandmother came up with.  All affordable and all natural!

Let me start by saying that I do not have to have everything organic in my life.  The majority of things in my life are non-organic.  However, I know that is very important to a lot of people now a days that the products they eat or use on their skin are organic.  You can not get much more organic than by using these recipes.

Ruder doesn't lecture you or tell you what to or not to do in her book.  It is basically a cooking book, only with recipes to make you even more beautiful than you already are.  For example, how to naturally color (or tint) your hair.  You can use beet juice or black tea bags.  There are recipes of what to mix that can help get rid of crows feet and to make your skin glow.

The majority of the ingredients needed are probably already in your kitchen.  Lots the recipes need fruits, eyes, water or milk to make.  You might only have to run to the store for one or two things, and even then, it would only be needed for some of the recipes.

I wanted to try a few of these tricks out myself before I reviewed the book, and my sister agreed to help me out.  Together we made Stress Souffle` and Sweetening the Pot (a lip coloring).

Stress Souffle` was fun to make.  But just a note- Go buy the carrott juice, instead of attempting to juice them yourself (unless you actually have a juicer!).  The recipe needed carrott juice, honey and baking soda.  We mixed it up and put it on our faces as instructed.  My face felt a bit sticky and the mixture wasn't the best smelling, but , my face was really soft and looked extreamly well cleaned after I washed it off.  I was exspecially amazed at how clean my sister's face is.  So, not only fun, but effective! 5/5 for this recipe!

Sweetening the Pot is a lip coloring that called for chocolate chips, petroleum jelly, and peppermint oil.  You have to melt the chocolate then mix everything together, stick it in an empty chap stick tube, then freeze it.  My sister is 10 years old, so this was an especially fun project for her.  How many kids can say they made their own chap stick??  We learned that we didn't add enough petroleum jelly, but will fix that in the next round.  Still we had fun, and tried something new.  4/5 for Sweetening the Pot!


**I received a complementary copy of this book in order to write a real and honest review. I did not get paid for this post. All opinions are my own, unless otherwise stated.**






No comments: