Thursday, April 15, 2010

Review: Mary Kay Cosmetics







Mary Kay Cosmetics is a well known beauty brand.  As soon as you hear the name expensive makeup 'pops' into your head.  At least, that's the case for me.  I remember when I was younger (about 12 or so) while leaving a resturant, I saw a pink convertable sitting in the parking lot.  At the time, I thought it was the coolest car ever.  My grandma pointed out to me that a Mary Kay worker owned it.  That the company's workers were given one after they sell so much of the brand's products.  Hearing that, I wanted to work for Mary Kay, it sounded great to a young girl, right?  You get to sell makeup, get a pink car, and get paid for it at the same time. Yeah, that sounds like a young girl's dream job... 

Well, as you can imagine, my dreams have changed, but, as a girl, I still love makeup.  So, Angela Christie, from Mary Kay Cosmetics, sent me a wide range of samples to review!  She sent me eyeshadows, liquid foundations, mineral foundation, sheer mineral pressed powder, lip liner, lipstick, and eyeliner.  Now, the samples were difficult to review.  The foundations did not match with my skin tone so it is difficult to judge adequatly.  And, the majority of the samples were bits of powders pressed on pieces of a thin cardboard material.


Liquid Foundation-
  • you use a little and you get a lot everywhere.
  • not sticky, but did not go on very smooth either.
  • the coverage was not overly great, but could work when I had nothing else.
Overall, could go on easier and have a better coverage.  If you have perfect skin and need or wear very little foundation, this would be ok for you.


Mineral Foundation-
  • no coverage at all.
Overall, the sample was not large enough for me to cover both sides of my face.  Possibly if there was more of the product to review, I might have been able to say it covered well, but with the product I received, it did not cover at all.


Sheer Mineral Pressed Powder-
  • Best product I reviewed out of the goodie bag.
  • lightly dusted on to get rid of shine.
Overall, this was a good product; my favorite I reviewed from May Kay.


Cheek Color-
  • had a lot of trouble loading my brush (pressed powder on paper)
  • some of the colors were really dark on me.
  • the lighter blushes had a nice subtle color that were attractive.
Overall, if you ofind a shade that will enhance your features, then this could be a product you might want to think about trying out.


Eye Color-
  • had a lot of trouble loading my brush (pressed powder on paper)
  • once on the eyelid, the colors did not stay overly well.  This would be good if you need to blend or smudge, but bad when it comes to running.
  • some of the colors I received had a good pigmentation to them, others (while looking bright on the paper) came out almost iridecscent.
Overall, I was not impressed with this product.  The pigmentation was too flimsy and the product moved too much.


Lip Liner/ Lip Stick-
  • the liner does not move once on, no need to worry about this running.
  • dark pigmentation to both the liner and lipstick
  • the liner I had a very hard time putting on, I almost had to tear my lips to line them.
  • the lipstick went on very smoothly yet also came off very easily as well.
Overall, if you like lip liner, this one will not move (going on or off) and the lipstick, while good pigmentation and goes on easily, also goes off just as easily.


Eye Liner-
  • just like the lip liner, I had a difficult time putting this on.
  • does not budge once in place.
Overall, for an eyeliner that stays this well in place, I think a little extra time wrestling with the product is worth it.


What do you ladies think?  Have any of you ever tried May Kay makeup, or do you have that special brand you just cannot go without?  Leave me a comment and let me know!



**I received complementary samples of this product in order to write a real and honest review. I did not get paid for this post. All opinions are my own, unless otherwise stated.**







No comments: